Monday, December 14, 2015

THM Taco Soup


Sunday is my day "off" from the kitchen.  Therefore lunch has to be ready when we get home from church because we're always really hungry.  Taco soup has become standard for Sunday afternoons... this the version my family loves week after week.

  • 2 pounds lean ground beef; cooked (or drained and rinsed otherwise)
  • 1 full quart bag (4+ cups) homemade chicken broth
  • 2 pkgs cream cheese
  • 1 can original rotel tomatoes with juice
  • 1 small onion; diced
  • 5 cloves garlic; minced
  • 1 Tbls cumin
  • 1-2 Tbls chili powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp salt (or to taste)

I put all ingredients in the crockpot before I go to bed on Saturday night (I do not turn the pot on yet). When I get up on Sunday morning - I turn the crockpot on low and allow to cook until we get home which ends up being about 5 hrs.  I do have to whisk the soup briskly before serving to encorporate the cream cheese.  
On the side I serve cold pinto or black beans, cold rice, fresh diced cilantro, sour cream, and chips for others to decorate with as they please. (the reason I serve these things cold is to cool the very hot soup) 

**I usually add a very, VERY small amount of beans to my bowl along with sour cream and cilantro (don't want to crossover).
**I've made this with chicken and turkey (ground and breast) and everyone is in agreement that it just tastes better with beef.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds just wonderful... I was needing some new THM recipes.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I plan to make it soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome, Pam and Nikki - I hope you enjoy as much as we do.
    Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say that I did make this soup and it is a "new" favorite in this house. Really yummy! We are making it again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Nikki. It still remains our every Sunday lunch too!

      Delete
  5. do you put taco seasoning in with the meat or just plain hamburger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just throw everything in the crockpot separately and let it cook...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made it for dinner and my husband declared it the only soup I ever need to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really good, but why not use beef broth instead of chicken broth? I would do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've tried beef broth, I agree that would make sense, but for some reason - there seems to be a better flavor with the chicken broth (in our opinions). Everyone has their own preference - enjoy this however you like ;)

      Delete
  9. I used Greek Yogurt style lower fat cream cheese and it did not upset the tummies of my lactose intolerant children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've changed to using this same thing - just to slim down the fat content and we love it just the same. This recipe can be modified soooo.... many different ways to make it exactly what your buds are needing at the moment.

      Delete

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...