Monday, December 28, 2015

THM Chicken Fried Rice

A yummy E dish for my THM friends out there...


1 1/2 - 2 cups brown rice, cooked
3 chicken breast, diced and cooked
1 small carrot, shredded or grated (like cheese)
1 cup peas
1/4 cup onion diced/minced
1 cup egg whites or egg beaters, scrambled
1 Tbls sesame oil (you could use veg broth, FF chick broth or water)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayanne pepper
1/2 cup liquid aminos (or to taste)

I use either my pressure cooker or the Alton Brown method for cooking the brown rice - I just place my chicken breasts right on top of the rice to cook.  **I have to add - I do not use the butter he recommends in the recipe and it turns out just fine** Once the rice and chicken are done cooking I chop the meat into very small chunks and set aside with the rice.  Meanwhile I've lightly sautee all the vegetables and spices in a pan with sesame oil (if things get too dry - you can add a Tbls of water and turn the burner down) and scrambled the egg whites/beaters.  I transfer these to the large pan or bowl with the chicken and rice and mix, mix, and keep mixing while adding the aminos to your taste (we love aminos and add - a half cup might be too much for some).

NOTE:  The above mixture was made with the frozen peas/carrots mix because it's what I had on hand, but I like using the fresh grated carrot much better.

I usually have one(ish) healthy cup(s) of this with a salad on the side.

7 comments:

  1. Just got my instant pot and New to it. In making your rice with the chicken on top, do you use frozen or thawed chicken breasts? And pressure cooker setting just to the Rice's needs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa. thanks for stopping by! when using the oven/alton brown method my chicken is thawed. when using my pressure cooker i don't cook them together, but separate. it takes my rice 15 minutes to cook in the pot and at least 30 frozen or fresh for the chicken (but that being said... i don't like the texture of chicken breasts from the pressure cooker). I'd just assume boil them. the dish turns out just as yummy if you cook them separate and combine. enjoy your new kitchen gadget. i can't imagine life without mine! blessings.

      Delete
  2. the rice on the box says 33g of carbs per 1/2 cup. am i using the wrong brown rice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's for dry rice. 1 cup cooked rice is approx 40ish net carbs. heaping cup of this for dinner is adequate with veggies on the side

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the serving size on this

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we have this meal I limit myself to 1.5 - 2 cups. I might be pushing the carb limit, but with all the other veggies in the recipe I figure this is fairly accurate. And... I've lost weight doing it this way. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so going on my meal plan! It looks delish! I'm always on the prowl for instant pot meals. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...