Thursday, July 30, 2015

Farmhouse Family Room

I've been meaning to put up a post of something IN the house lately, but the outside just seems to be priority right now whilst the weather is still GoRgeOuS!  Garden this year has been wonderful and I get so excited about what's coming out of it - that I just want to share.

However... I know there are other things besides vegetables ;o)  So I thought I would show you our family room.  Living room/family room - this is the room we spend a lot of our time.  When we bought this house we were searching for smaller/less to maintain(HA!)/less to furnish.  We wanted more on the outside and less on the inside.  We found it!  Our house is only about 1500 sq ft and every square INCH counts! I still wanted to have a place that we could entertain so seating and flow mattered to me.  I wanted to try out Ikea's slip-covered sofas.  I've been wanting to for a long while.  After we moved it seemed like a good time to do that.  We had dark leather furniture, which in some regards I miss, but others I don't.  The two sofas you see are Ikea, slip-covered in a very neutral, but not white cover.  I was thinking of white, but I didn't want to buy retail (I can't imagine buying retail) so I watched and watched and watched Craigslist for something like this to come up.  Folks that were selling them had only had them for 7 months and bought a dog and found out they were expecting a baby and were moving... so they sold these on CL for a deeply discounted price!


When I first brought them home I had them arranged in a very formal "L", but that seemed so awkward.  My husband chimed in and said what if we set it on angle like this...


I fell in love with what he suggested and it's been that way ever since.  The sofa closet in the picture is the separating line between the family room and dining room.  Sofa itself wasn't enough so I put an old bench there with some hand-me-down crocks.  Found the large cable knit blanket on the back of the sofa at a garage sale for $1.  Lots of quilt and throws are needed in the winter.


Then I wanted a chair to replace the upholstered one I had.  Again, a dark, traditional club chair that just didn't go with what I was seeing in my mind.  I knew I wanted "neutral" and I couldn't find anything that was "just right".  Then the little wicker diddy was listed on [where else?] Craigslist.  It had belonged to a little-ol-lady-who kept it inside her screened porch so it was in perfect condition - albeit the cushions were covered in a yellow/green/purple checked pattern that had to go!!!  1980's all the way.  I picked the chair up for a song and asked a friend of mine to fashion a slip cover for those cushions.  I went to our local fabric warehouse outlet and found the fabric.  It reminded of me old french ticking, but the price was much easier to swallow!


I think she did a fabulous job!  Thank you, Linda!!!  I just draped a white quilt over the back and added an extra throw pillow that I haven't been able to part with - love it.  The little table next to the chair was fleamarket score with a price tag (gulp!) of $10 (phew!!!!).  Love the original white, perfectly chippy paint.


And of course on top of the table is an antique marble lamp with a myriad of "stuff".  An antique Ironstone covered dish and platter.  I happened to have three old glass door knobs so I stuck them on there to fill it up.  Then there needed to be some texture of some sort so I put a piece of antique fabric that I found for a quarter, under it.  I have an obsession with OLD and in that I love Ironstone.  


However, my collection is growing very slowly because Ironstone usually comes with a price (that I don't like to pay).  So I hold out for garage sales that don't exactly know what they're selling or thrift stores and flea markets that I can pick a piece up for a dollar or two.  One of my newest favorites is the pitcher below.  She sits in my dining room - which I will show - eventually.


We live in such a private location - I didn't need to clutter the windows with curtains.  I love all the natural light that flows through these three.  The main living area of our house is always so bright and happy.  Bright white walls help make it that as well.  Walls in this space are painted Benjamin Moore Simply White.  And that [to me] gorgeous antique cupboard sitting there is a find from our local firefighters auction that I picked up for $8.  Whoa!  It is the storage for all of our games - yes we are a very big game family.  Just last night Daniel and I sat down and played two hands of Rummy while I made him some tapioca pudding :o)  two hands - we each won a hand.


The cupboard was built from old hard wood flooring.  It doesn't sit completely level despite my hubby's attempts to square it up - but it's old, it's chippy, and it has the coolest little glass knob.  It was dark reddish stain once upon a time ago, but I since then I've painted it Whispering Wheat by Glidden and roughed it up a tad.  This particular rendition of Whispering Wheat, bought at Wal*Mart, had a little more yellow in it than I like.  I have since bought Home Depot's rendition of the color and it is much more neutral.  I have lots of painting projects in the waiting!


The living room and entry way are one thing right now.  I've separated it with an old table that I found at the habitat for humanity ReUseIt store for $10.  I brought it home and my husband asked why I buying firewood at the habitat store.  Urgh!  It use to be some one's old work bench and looked like it had been through some water in the basement a few times as the legs were pretty well rotten six inches up, but I just asked my hubby to trim that six inches off and took it out on my back deck in the sun and wash it with vinegar, dawn, and water.  After leaving it to dry for several hours in the sun I brought it in and gave it several baths in hemp oil.  Even the hubby likes it now!


But the entry way is for another post further down the road after it looks the way I envision it.  The chair I have sitting with it was a curb find.  Someone had it sitting on the curb with their garbage.  I stopped (he was outside watering) and asked if he was sure he wanted to get rid of the chair.  He told me sure... take it... what do ya need it for - firewood?  Wha???  What is it with men and old furniture as firewood?  I think my dad would have said the same thing ;\


I picked up the old coffee table from another Craigslist pickup.  I went for our little desk and found this table in the back corner of the guy's garage.  After he pulled it out I asked him if he wanted to sell it and he was willing to get that "piece of junk" out of his way.  Wha????  $5 folks.


When I brought it home it had forest green paint on the bottom of it.  I had plans to strip it down, but my hubby and his inherent love for "old" just like me helped me out - accidentally.  When we were moving into our house - loading the truck actually - he left the table sitting on it's side, in the sun.  Someone didn't paint very well - to my advantage - because the paint and primer together bubbled in several spots.  It wasn't long after we'd been in here that Daniel had his first kidney stone attack.  He was laying on the couch, but wanted me close by so I started picking at those sun blisters in the paint and before I knew it - my table was stripped!  Providence!


As I tell you in my "about" page... this isn't an old farmhouse.  It's not even that old.  It's not big and glorious, but I am having a blast making it look the kind of old that I like.  But I have decided... it is a farmhouse.  We have chickens, land bearing food for us, and a milk cow on the way next Spring... it may not be a big farm, but perhaps a farmette.

And I love it!

Until next time...








2 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to your blog. (via FB THM group somehow, lol) I LOVE the way you have done this room! Looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather... thanks for the visit and the sweet thoughts! Hope you come back and visit when its not an accident ;)

      Delete

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...