Thursday, July 02, 2015

A New Kind of Garden

Hello, friends.  Sorry for the lagging behind, but this summer has proven to be quite full with house, garden, and guests.  But I wanted to show you something I've been working on.  Around the perimeter of our property this about all you see - wild roses, wild black raspberries & blackberries, honeysuckle, poison ivy, etc....


Daniel decided he was tired of seeing just those thorny bushes behind our house when we looked out, so he took out some dead trees along with all the barred bushes that surrounded them.  And for quite some time it has looked something like this...


This state required mowing or bush whacking to keep the ever-persistent natural landscape from coming back.  I already mow the whole property (until there's a cow or horse to keep it mowed) and I really didn't want to add to my job - so we compromised.  We'll keep it cleared for him and I'll plant a garden her (me).  So began my shade garden, but not just any shade garden the FREE kind of shade garden.  I'll explain...  we ran into a couple of friends having lunch next to Verizon (which is where we happen to be) that invited us to join them for lunch.  We didn't have time so Carol invited me over to her house to see her gardens and chat a while (so I thought!).  She went in the house and came back out with her gardening clothes, shovel in hand.  She had so many varieties of hosta - I was in hosta heaven (I love hosta).  Anyhow, she dug me 17, yes SEVENTEEN, different varieties from her mature beds and sent me home with them.  Upon my departure she encouraged me to come back and get whatever else I think I might like.  Glory!!!!!!  Anyhow - you can't just say ok, but wait until I'M ready, so I graciously [excitedly] [gladly] accepted her generosity and left toward home with all sorts of thoughts running through my head regarding what I was going to do with all these jems.  Remember it looked like this at home...  


I called Daniel and told him what had transpired so he came home that evening, putting everything else on the back burner, and cleared the stumps.  I watered my new babies and went to bed.  The next day I set to work planting all my new hosta - in the rain!  And then, once the rain had cleared, I went to the nursery to get mulch.

It looked like this when I was done...


But everything to the left was still bare and unplanted.  It looked so unbalanced, but I had no capital to put in it so I called my mother and asked her if she would be interested in sponsoring Phase Two.  She agreed so, the very next morning, Ali and I got to work clearing all the underbrush left from this...


I went to get more mulch and stopped at Lowe's and scoured their clearance racks.  When it was all said and done it ended-up looking like this...


As best as I can show you right now the entire space looks something like this...


The fire ring was just made from stacking the old bricks I found in the woods ,on our property, in a circle shape to define where the fire would be.  It has already been used!  We love it...

Until next week... be blessed.

UPDATE....  evidently the black snakes approve too!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...