Wednesday, February 04, 2015

It's Just the Beginning

Alright, I know I've been quiet for some a long time, but I think today is the day to actually break the hiatus.  Truth of the matter is - my focus has been somewhere else as of recently and I probably should have been blogging this all along, but I wasn't sure of what the outcome would be and I didn't want to seem wishy-washy.

I have been wanting, trying, researching, reading, looking into different ways to lose weight.  I started out simply receiving daily articles from Dr. Mercola.  Reading his publications is (for me) like reading the bible - very convicting.  He is a very middle of the road, non-fad diet enthusiast, and believes much like my dear husband  - everything in moderation.  I would highly suggest signing up for his free daily email articles.

We've gone way of being completely totally animal-free [vegan] for an entire year and it worked.  However, in retrospect, I truly believe the reason it worked was because we found out that sugar was filtered through charred animal bone and therefore gave up sugar completely - that was the reason for weight loss, but we lost a lot of nutrients along the way.  I'm also convinced that because of being forced to cook without meat... I learned to cook with more veggies.  We've since learned to just simply eat LESS meat.  Too much protein can be a bad thing!

Anyhow... on to my most current, time consuming encounter.  Trim Healthy Mama by Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett.





I was actually introduced to Trim Healthy Mama (THM) over a year ago by a friend, but I reasoned that I'd already been down the road of all those different fad diet plans and had little, temporal success and I didn't want to do that again.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  And I didn't want to be a barbie-doll-diet example to my young, growing girls.  That's all they didn't need to see.  Then... "the resolution".  Our family made a 2015 resolution to give up sugar for the year. WHA??????  Yes, [gasp] give up sugar - you read that right.  All four of us... and that was going to mean all the carbs like bread, rice, pasta, etc.  Anything that would spike our blood sugars.  Then I found my self in a predicament - I didn't know how to cook like this!

However...

Then just as He always does - God came on scene again through another (different) friend who was telling me about her and her daughter's THM successes and I thought - I'm going to look into what this is all about.  I read everything their book said on Amazon (for free) and decided it was worth looking into - for real.  I put a hold on the book at the library - I was 19th in line.  So I started scouring the internet for success stories, reviews, commentaries, and recipes.  I didn't want to compromise health.  I was hooked.  I talked with my husband and ordered the book.  I've not regretted it since that one fateful December day.

January 1st started our family's THM journey.  There are only two of us using it for weight loss, but the other two are only here for the food.  Yummy, yummy, YUMMY recipes full of good fat and lots of veggies.  As with everything there are THM recipes that I just don't like, but if I had to give it to you in percentages... I would say our entire family has been beyond pleased with 99% of everything we've tried.

I'm still learning how to do this thing.... Sugar is completely out of the picture and I don't miss it a bit!  THAT is ah-may-zing to me, but the truth is... I tested THM first with their desserts because I thought that was what was going to be the one thing I was going to miss the most - not so.  After the first week... I found myself (still finding myself) not even desiring anything sweetened.  Not even my tea in the morning.  Heavy whipping cream is just fine for me :o)

I'm excited to share this journey with you now.  I know it works.  My first month following this plan was far more successful than I had ever thought it could be.  I lost 17 pounds and a total of 11 inches.  My daughter Alisha lost 15 during January! There are times that I tell my husband - I can't believe I'm "dieting".  I feel like I'm cheating over and over again, but the proof is in the pudding... literally.  The really nice thing is... you don't have to do separate things for separate people.  My husband and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum - he needs to gain...  I just make dinner and he eats whatever we're having and I avoid the portions that he can eat.  For example... our first THM meal was a rich, succulent fettuccine alfredo with chicken.  He can eat bread and butter with his meal, I avoid the bread and butter.  But... he eats the Dreamfields pasta too, because he's benefiting from not SO many carbs.

Anyhow - that's a long enough book for right now.  I'll post one month pictures next - I have to, first, take one :o)  I hope... if you've got extra weight to lose - you'll be intrigued enough to look into THM.  It's been the only thing that has ever worked for me and the only plan I've ever been able to say "this could easily be a lifestyle for me..."

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...