Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bead Board in the Dining Room

If you recall... the dining room looked like this from the door when we did our walk-through.  Nothing but that beautiful, 1990's glass chandelier.  Since moving in we've realized a few things about this room.  The door that's open has to be replaced.  It's pretty bad... rotten kind of bad, but that didn't rate on the priorities for this year.  That big, beautiful, stone fireplace... has to be taken out.  We've got 3000lbs sitting on the floor in that one space with no additional support under it.  It's pulling away from the ceiling and wall pretty significantly - and it's only gas - we can't make it wood burning, so we'll be replacing it with a nice wood stove in the spring/summer 2015.  However...


With an open floor plan, such as this, in the living area - merging the different spaces so they look cohesive and still making a room "it's own" becomes more difficult than I thought it would be.  I wanted to relate the two spaces and still make them two distinctive rooms.  Since I went with bead board on the ceiling in the kitchen, I thought it would make sense to add in bead board around the dining room, which defines it as it's own space at the same time.  So, although not finished, the dining room looks like this right now.  Bead board installed and fresh paint - that's all so far.  Obviously we're not finished, but moving right along at a steady pace.  The door leaned against the other door is the replacement - just not yet replaced ;o).   The bare drywall you see is some of the work left to do in the living room as we're moving from room to room.


This view makes it look a bit more pleasing to the eye.


This is the before view of the dining room from the living room.


And the view right now.  We extended the bead board around the breakfast bar.  We weren't intending to do that right now, but with just enough material left over from the room - we ended up with just enough to finish around the bar.  That was a definite YAY! moment.



 This little, antique dresser entered our life as mere storage and that is how it has remained.  I will replace it with something in the future, but I'm not in any hurry.  I will wait for the perfect piece to come along - until then - this little guy has a home.


One final view from the kitchen.  The light we have in here right now is not permanent either, but I had it in my stash and I couldn't live with the 70's chandelier any longer, so this one is my temporary fix :o)


OH!  And I couldn't finish this post without pointing out how the edge of the bead board meets up with the stone on the fireplace in that corner by the birds.  I didn't know how we were going to deal with it... then Daniel said "I have an idea..." - that will be for separate post.   But for now that all about the bead board in the dining room :o)




2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Y'all have really worked hard, and everything looks wonderful! Really! Love all your touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb! We have been working hard when time allows. I'm just excited for it to be done and enjoy it.

      Delete

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...