Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Chick Pea Salad Sandwich



Each week I make up a batch of chickpea salad.  We use this mixture for sandwiches, snack with crackers (and a time or two with celery).  I came across the idea as I was looking for recipes to replace the egg and chicken salad I would typically make.  I don't remember where I found the original inspiration, but here is my own variation.

1 bag chickpeas, cooked
1 small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup olives, chopped
1/2 cup mayo (we use Veganaise)
1-2 Tbls mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Cook chickpeas according to package directions.  You can use four cans drained and rinsed well if you'd rather.  Dice all vegetables add mayo and mustard and start smashing*.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Mixture tastes better if it's allowed to meld overnight in the fridge, but it can be eaten right away.

*When smashing the chickpeas take care in doing so as they will go to chick pea mush quite quickly.  I always mash to the point where there are still some whole chickpeas, but not a lot.  It will look much like your egg salad when you're done.  That's the texture you're going for.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...