Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I've been wanting a vegan oatmeal cookie that is crispy on the outside and chewy goodness on the inside.  I've got it!  And I have no reservations giving this cookie 5 out of 5 stars!



Ingredients:

1 cup oil (I used canola)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbls water
2 tbls vinegar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use fresh ground)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups oats
1 cup raisins (lightly rolled in flour)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Procedure:

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Cream together sugars and oil.  Add vanilla, water, and vinegar; mix well.

Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon if desired.  Mix well and then add oats and raisins, which have been rolled lightly in flour.  Mix well, adding nuts now, if you choose.

Roll dough in small balls, about the size of a golf ball.  Once formed, flatten the cookie ball between your palms to form a [sort of] disc - you must do this for the cookies to become "normal" cookies.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (10 was plenty for us).

MY NOTES:

  • To use white/all purpose flour, cut the water to 2 tbls.  
  • Cookies are too tender to remove from cookie sheet right away - your best bet is to have two pans going.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack (or if you're like me, the counter).   
  • These cookies are yummy after they cool just a bit, but the next morning they are FABULOUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...