Monday, November 07, 2011

The Other Side of the Mountain

I love the weekend.  
Specifically Sundays!  And for good reason...
A day spent worshiping the most awesome God, spending time with not only my nuclear family, but also a wonderful family in Christ, soaking in the Living Word of God, sitting next to my hubby and holding hands while praying, listening to my husband sing God-glorifying hymns, and geo-caching.  (An extra perk to Sundays is seeing my talk-dark-and-handsome man all dressed up in suit and tie!)
***
Since we've been pinching pennies a little more lately [and] our church home is quite a distance (over a large mountain) from our house we make a day of it on "the other side of the mountain".  We pack the van with lunch and dinner, games, computers, music books, cameras, etc....
***
Our Sunday actually started on Saturday night this week.  If you recall, Ali and Daniel went out driving (and geo-caching) on Saturday as their time together.  He discovered that evening he had left his GPS on the trail.  We considered going to get it late night Saturday, but I talked him into waiting 'till Sunday morning on the way to church (it was REALLY dark and cold).  The plan was to leave an hour earlier than usual to go get it and that is just what we did.  Piling into the van with homemade breakfast burritos and cantaloupe we were on our way to retrieve Honey's happy meal toy finder!  We were all very relieved it was still out where he thought he left it.  (can you find it?)


While he was out there he couldn't help but take a picture of a pretty little bird puffed-up in the tree above...


Once the GPS had been found and a very thankful husband was back in the van we were on our way towards church.  On the way Daniel and Ali were telling Syd and I the story of the geo-cache they couldn't find at this particular rest area we passed.  Sydney suggested that we go back and give it another attempt, after all, eight eyes are better than four!  In the words of Mr. Incredible... "I've got time..."  (And) it gave him a place to change into his church clothes.  So turn-about we did, back to the *mystery* cache (that we still weren't able to find).  We did indeed give it our best shot - even though it was pretty chilly!


We all enjoyed, regardless!  I wanted SO.... bad to be able to find the cache (that he had not been able to find) while Daniel was changing and be able to say "I found it."  Not sure, but I think that's pride again :o) 


Although there was a matter of irony while there... allow me to set the scene... 
barking dogs, road noise from well traveled interstate, coming and going of all matter of people, screaming children, crying baby, a dozen semi trucks sitting/idling... (insert here - slow motion and appropriate music) good looking man (my husband) dressed in moderately stylish clothing (but still just jeans and sweater) disappears through a thick, steel, graffitied door leading into an old, brick rest area bathroom.  Minutes later emerging:  a distinguished gentleman with a spattering of grey in his freshly gelled, spiked hair, dressed in a Chaps, deep charcoal suit with black dress shoes and white, starched shirt.  Coordinating tie boasting the Lord's prayer. 
Do you see the irony in all that?  
My superman walking toward me and I couldn't get enough of it!
(kind of a take-a-picture-it-lasts-longer moment).
I wish I would have taken a picture right then, but I was too caught up in *the moment*. 
***
Later that afternoon - after we had gone to Sunday school, church, changed, and had lunch we decided to get outdoors once again and hit a couple more caches around the very local area.  Here you'll see Ali (with another of her not-so-serious looks) heading out to the waterfall cache.


We didn't find the cache here either, but it was totally worth the short hike and exasperating sights!


Hey look!  Ali smiled and posed for me!  She must not have been feeling like herself :o)  Isn't she even more beautiful when she puts down the front and smiles?  (btw - she loves wearing her daddy's leather jacket, which, in turn, was passed down from her papa after he passed - she loves them both so much!)


Syd was our little monkey!  She was [primarily] the one climbing up the hills, trekking over by the falls,  looking in the giant tree root system looking for that cache.  No luck with this one either! (ps - she's wearing her daddy's jacket too!  and glowing because of it!)   


So, we tried for ANOTHER cache - with no luck.  This one was located at someone's personal residence, which made me feel strange, but it was going to be an easy a not-so-easy find.
However, this little hobby becomes rather addicting - kind of like McDonald's coke and french fries (so I hear).  On the way back to church, for choir practice, we tried one. more. time.  This time proved to be successful (thank goodness).  We were getting discouraged!  It was an easy one to find - Ali spotted it within seconds and had it open for all to see its contents.  Sydney was enthralled with a specific little finger puppet she found.  We ended up taking the little, red, smiley face thing you see in the box and left a hacky sack. 

 

Ali logged our family geo-caching name (4BE4JESUS) as finding it and we were on our way back to God's house!


The rest of the evening was just as good.  I was able to sit beside and listen to my bff sing in church.  The girls sit with their friends on Sunday nights and Ali played a beautiful rendition of Before the Throne of God Above on the piano for the offertory music.  Those fingers make that instrument sing - I love to hear her play! 
Rather silly, but after hearing her play these, her favorite songs, over and over and over on our piano at home - it still brings tears to my eyes when she does it in the service and glory of God Almighty!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic day! I've never tried geocaching but have thought about giving it a whirl with my 12 year old daughter. It looks like SO much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Looking at blogs, for me, is like driving down the street at night and happening by a house that has all its curtains wide open with the lights on... you get a quick glance into someone else's life.

So, friend, please leave a message... I'm leaving the curtains wide open and all the lights are on. I'd love to chat with ya! (and I try to respond to all my comments)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...